Tuesday, July 28, 2009

On social networks and event processing


Today I noticed that the number of my LinkedIn contacts is now a round number 0f 600, unfortunately two of these 600, Klaus Ditrtich and Shlomit Zak have passed away, but their LinkedIn records are still alive, I hope that the rest of the 598 are alive and well. I was introduced to LinkedIn 3 or 4 years ago, when I received a LinkedIn invitation from Mark Palmer, who was my first contact, and accumulated the rest of the links over the years. Part of them invited me, and part of them were invited by me, I have there classmates from high school, colleagues from all places I worked in, students I taught or supervised, some friends, and of course, the members of the event processing community. LinkedIn was my first social network, currently I even don't know exactly how many social networks I am member of, but LinkedIn is the only one that I am active in. So I'll take this opportunity to say a few things about how event processing can become part of social network platforms.

There is a lot of buzz recently about Twitter events, which is also one of the Web 2.0 family, but I'll take the LinkedIn example now, since it has some structure, which creates various event types. While there is applications that attempt to use Twitter events to get information about the stock market, in social networks the events are about individuals; some of the interesting event patterns that may be obtained about individuals:
  • A person got more than 3 recommendation during the last week -- probably looking for a job now, this is an information that can be of interest for various people, such as head hunters, or enterprises seeking for employees.
  • A certain amount of contacts joined a certain group -- may be an indication about a group of interest
  • LinkedIn has microblogging of 14o characters like Twitter -- various things can be obtained from this microblogging.
  • Postings that people make on groups may indicate something about a person.
  • Level of activity in groups may also indicate something about that group.
Many other possibilities can be thought on; I foresee that event processing will be embedded in social network platforms, and maybe will be the basis of abilities to offer paid services. Some social networks send me an Email every time that somebody looks at my profile, and offer me to know the identity of this person, if I'll become a paying member, I have never tempted to do it, however, maybe the use of event processing will provide such services that will be worth paying for, but I guess that most people expect to get these kind of services for free... Can be a good exercise for students, to build such a service. That's all for today, almost midnight...

1 comment:

Student Talk said...

Interesting topic, thank you for sharing..