Sunday, January 16, 2011

In search of intention language for event processing: revisiting the decision model



I have written recently about the need to establish intention language that will serve as higher level abstractions for event processing.  Last week, I had almost a day without laptop, when my laptop went to the system guys for re-installation of Windows (and thus all the software), due to some repeating failures.  I used one hour for my daily walk, some of the time to bother other people in the team, and had some time left for reading, so I decided to return to the copy of the "decision model" book that I have in my office, something that I had in mind doing since the visit of Larry Goldberg in my lab.    The decision model provides a tabular way of looking at decisions, with various propositions that are intended to enforce consistency, and normalization forms inspired from the relational model.    This expresses decisions that are assertion based,  and are intedned to serve as a semantic layer abouve business rules.   The event processing area is somewhat richer, as decisions can be based on events but also on situations that are based on detection of event patterns, or on aggregation or composition of events.  The results of event processing are derived events that may either trigger an action or issue a notification (which is also a kind of action).   The interesting question is whether this relatively simple tabular model can enrich its semantics in order to express the intentions behind event processing functions.    Getting such a cannonic way may be quite appealing,  however I am not sure it is going to be easy -- one direction to consider in search of intention language for event processing -- more on this one later. 

No comments: